This Cooking Blog Is Dedicated To My Children and Grandchildren

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hummingbird Cake






Sift the following ingredients together:

3 Cups Flour

2 Cups Sugar

1 Tsp. Baking Soda

1/2 Tsp. Salt

1 Tsp. Ground Cinnamon


When finished add:

1 Cup Chopped Pecans & set aside.


In another bowl combine:

3 Eggs, beaten

3/4 Cup Applesauce

1/4 Cup Canola or Vegetable Oil

1 1/2Tsp. Vanilla

1 Cup crushed Pineapple

2 Cups Chopped Bananas


Stir all together by hand, NOT in a mixer, until well mixed. Do NOT beat. Fold liquid mixture into dry mixture until well-mixed. Again, do NOT beat!


Divide the batter into three 9 inch cake pans that have been greased. (I use pam spray). Bake in a 325 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or until set in the center. Make sure not to over bake the cake. It makes all the difference between having a wonderful cake or a dry mass of flour and sugar.


Cool cakes, then ice with:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 1/2 pounds confectioner's sugar

1 Tsp. vanilla extract

Beat together cream cheese and butter until mixed, then beat in sugar, finally add vanilla.


This is one of my "Sweet Hunters" favorite cakes! I try to always have him something sweet to eat. I usually make my desserts on Fridays! Hope you enjoy!


4 comments:

CONNIE W said...

The cake looks heavenly. I recently read or heard something about Hummingbird Cake but I can't recall what/where.

Linda C said...

Stop! You are making me hungry just looking at that luscious cake. Think I better stop and clean the drool off the monitor and/or go eat my breakfast. I was hoping to wait till after I got my walking in but the morning is getting away from me.

My husband is always eating up the bananas before I have any saved up for baking. He likes them greener than I do is part of the problem--me, it would be almost banana muffin time. I got a few in the freezer now though! Thanks for reminding me of this yummy recipe. Got one from my mom but I think you may have trimmed some of the fat in it with the applesauce?

Alice Grace said...

Yum! Are you bringing one of these to our Easter dinner? hmmmm Wouldn't that be nice!
Love
MOM

Mississippi Songbird said...

Oh, That cake looks sooo good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.I love your blog.. I love to cook too..
Have a Wonderful Easter Weekend!