This Cooking Blog Is Dedicated To My Children and Grandchildren

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Muscadine Jelly From My Own Vines




Wash and removed any stems. Then place in food processor or mash with a potato masher. Then place in saucepan on stove and bring to a semi boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Skim off any foam with metal spoon. I used a cheese cloth to strain my juice several times. You need 5 cups of juice (about 5 lbs. of muscadines). Add 1 box of pectin & 1/4 cup of sugar and bring to a boil. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes to reach a full hard boil. In the meantime, sterilize your lids. Your jars should already be washed and sterilized. When it reaches boiling point, add 7 cups of sugar and bring back to boil for 1 minute while stirring. Check for thickness by dipping cold spoon in jelly. If it is too runny, reboil for 1 minute. Then pour into jars and place lids & rings on. Place into boiling water bath and cover jars with 2 inches of water. Boil 5 minutes and then remove to cool. This jelly is just delicious , even if I do say so myself!

4 comments:

Alice Grace said...

Yum! Hot biscuits and homemade muscadine jelly! It doesn't get any better than this!

Shelley said...

I'm so envious of all the success you are having w/ your water bath canner. I need to branch out!

lindsey said...

This looks amazing...if only we could get jars like this in the UK!

Rachel said...

Ok, I tried to make some jelly the other day...it tastes great but didn't gel. :( It is more of a syrup than jelly.
What did I do wrong?